Amazon drivers ‘are asked to deliver up to 200 parcels a day for less than the minimum wage and they even have to urinate into bottles to keep pace’ | Amazing Articles

- amazon drivers are asked to deliver up to 200 parcels a day for less than the minimum wage and they even have to urinate into bottles to keep pace - Amazon drivers ‘are asked to deliver up to 200 parcels a day for less than the minimum wage and they even have to urinate into bottles to keep pace’

1. AutoModerator

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Users often report submissions from this site and ask us to ban it for sensationalized articles. At /r/worldnews, we oppose blanket banning any news source. Readers have a responsibility to be skeptical, check sources, and comment on any flaws.

You can help improve this thread by linking to media that verifies or questions this article’s claims. Your link could help readers better understand this issue. If you do find evidence that this article or its title are false or misleading, contact the moderators who will review it

*I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/worldnews) if you have any questions or concerns.*

2. MemeLordCameron

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I work at ups. Everyone is putting in crazy hours, but we get paid for it. I saw an upper level HR guy moving pacakages in a warehouse. It’s a float or sink situation right now.

3. HOLYREGIME

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I honestly didn’t know amazon had delivery drivers. I thought they had agreements with ups since that’s who drops my package off.

4. spagheddie

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I was once a FedEx delivery driver, so I don’t know how it is for Amazon, but I would imagine it’s similar?

At FedEx we got paid per package delivered, which means the faster you deliver your packages, the more you are technically getting paid per hour. In addition to this, you’d get a daily bonus for delivering the packages fast. We could take our lunches whenever, nobody cared as long as the packages got delivered. However, very few people ever stopped to eat their lunch. Most people would eat and drive. If there was a bathroom on your route, that’s cool, but otherwise you are peeing in a bottle because you aren’t trying to waste time searching for a bathroom when you could potentially deliver 4 or 5 packages in that time. All of this holds especially true at this time of the year, when guys are getting ran 6 days a week, with 200+ packages per day, and with the sun going down an hour earlier (night time delivering slows you way the fuck down).

Well what happens when you deliver so slow that you’re making less than minimum wage? I don’t know about Amazon, but at FedEx if you were so slow that you made less than minimum wage with your per package deliveries, you were simply paid minimum wage for that day’s work.

Anyways, there are a lot of shitty jobs to have during the Christmas season but, in my opinion, this is the worst one of them all. The pay isn’t bad if you have your route down; but goddamn you can’t even enjoy the damn holidays because you’re always on “go” mode.

5. JollyMrRogers

UPS Driver here. Fuck that

6. TheTreesMan

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

UPS has a union for these reasons.

7. BeardedBitch

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

This doesn’t surprise me. They opened a distribution center near me, so I applied. 2 months go by and I get a random email stating I made it to the next round, followed by 4 months of silence. So 6 months after applying I get a series of rapid emails telling me when and where to show up for an interview. I politely respond no thanks, it’s been 6 months and I’ve moved on. With in moments I get a phone call telling me when and where to attend my interview… I said no thanks, and the lady said excuse me? Astonished, in said no ,. I’m good. She got an attitude with me, and asked what I meant. I said lady I applied 6months ago, and you out of nowhere don’t ask, but tell me to attend an interview. If this is how you treat an applicant, I’d hate to be an employee, don’t fucking call me again. That is why I have no problem believing the working conditions.

8. lowflyingmeat

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

FedEx/UPS Drivers make 20-25 USD / hour here in Canada and are protected under Union and get benefits. They deliver the majority of Amazon parcels.

Amazon has resorted to this B+ class courier though (Intellicom) in Canada. I suspect due to the high costs of fedex/ups.

9. mobin69

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Enough with the piss jugs, Ray!

10. GodzRebirth

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Not in Los Angeles, that’s virtually impossible unless all 200 packages were in the same 10 block radius

11. Valmyr5

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Meanwhile, the Amazon founder is now the richest man in the world.

12. Inesophet

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Need to min max human before replacing with Ai.

13. Sheepdog14

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I signed up to do this in seattle and they pay $30an hour, and they only give you 3 hour shifts at a time.

14. jtdusk

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Sure, we give them a living wage, then what, next year, Jeff Bezos is only worth 99.9 billion dollars?

15. SeaTownDude

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Dirty piss jugs. Way of the road boys.

16. BBoySlim

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

How are these practices legal?

17. geekonamotorcycle

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I am a system engineer and until a month ago I was a long term unemployed system engineer. Out of desperation I applied to do this and when I showed up for the interview the dude who did the interview was radiating stress, it was pouring out of him in the form of tobacco scented sweat and eyes that looked like they had not rested in months. When I arrived he was chain smoking cigarettes and when I left he was chain smoking cigarettes again. He apologized for not totally being there with me during the interview, which mostly consisted of warnings, because one of his guys got hurt and it was weighing on him.

they expected 240+ packages a day, 10 hours a day. the training videos said 140. The expectation is that you always keep pace with the rabbit(gps device) at all costs and the rabbit doesn’t take shits or go pee.

No one who worked there looked healthy save the guys who only had to load the vans.

I was dreading it, but thankfully one of the places I had applied for decided to test me before interviewing me which meant I got the job despite my long unemployment. For only one day I was an amazon driver.

This is the new economy and its terrifying.

18. whhaaaat

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I do Amazon Flex delivery (Amazon Flex is an app-driven delivery system like Uber or Lyft where you can schedule 2-4 hour delivery routes), and I do ok with it. The downside is that the hours are completely unpredictable. That being said, I’ve been making about $15/hr with it after cost of gas.

I have never peed in a bottle. I have stopped for Taco Bell.

19. CollectableRat

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

It’s okay, robots will be delivering all the packages in a few years.

20. PublicObscurity

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

As someone who worked in one of these distribution facilities in the US, perhaps I can shed some light on how this system works for the US with Amazon drivers. Firstly, the drivers operate their own vehicles and use their smartphones as the technology to scan and load packages into their vehicles (read: packages are assigned to drivers and checked by someone like me before leaving). Then depending on the distance between locations and number of packages, the route was either a 2, 3, 3.5, or 4 hr route. All of these routes paid minimum $18/hr with it sometimes going up to $22/hr on bad weather days or when not enough drivers showed up for the given time (routes are added to this available list that is visible on peoples’ phone apps and they choose to accept routes). This higher pay accounted for fuel/car expenses (which is the idea), but drivers choose to accept these routes. The conditions and expectations for success was competitive, but there were many drivers who had near perfect delivery success rates who finished almost all of their routes in under 75% of the estimated time, even with a 65 pkg, 4 hr route. It seems to be a little different with these uk drivers having to rent a van, but in the US, this model works better as the average car is significantly larger. Amazon’s business model is efficiency, so if they cut corners where traditional businesses don’t, it shouldn’t be a surprise, but they should be held accountable if they are forcing bad conditions on their drivers. In the US I don’t think this is the case from what I saw. This also helps with the ‘peeing in a bottle’ issue. Because drivers accept the routes they want, it’s on them to take a break to eat/ go to the restroom by not accepting back to back slots. Or just finish early and use that time. The drivers who had a system of organizing packages and looking over there route were probably taking home $150-$180 a day with time to eat and use restrooms.

21. DonnieTisfat

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Pissing in jugs has been the way of the road for all truckers even Ray, since they started piss testing them for stimulants

22. EilrahcNotneb

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I visited their Rugely depot after it first opened as a reporter. Full of dead eyed drones stuck at their station for hours even then, dread to think what it’s like now.

23. stillbatting1000

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I used to work at Amazon as a picker. I’m ashamed I stuck with it as long as I did. I nearly got fired twice for not quite making pick rate. It was so high and difficult that stopping to take a leak was enough to destroy your pick rate. And the turnover rate of employees was insane. I’d say 1 in 5 stayed more than two weeks.

And when I finally got the hang of things and was able to pick 120% consistently… if for even ten minutes I dropped below 90%… got a lecture from the manager.

Also they had *strict* 15 minute breaks… which required about three minutes of that break both ways to wait in line to go through a metal detector and maybe a pat-down.

I wouldn’t recommend an Amazon job to anyone unless you are desperate.

24. Blank3k

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I usually take these stories with a pinch of salt, I occasionally make small talk with the delivery guy while they fiddle with scannings etc and usually they say it’s not a good job but its a job thats tiding them over etc and it generally sounds as you would expect for that level of job.

But I will admit recently over the past 4-5 weeks or so, possibly due to black friday/cyber monday & the lead up to Christmas i’ve seen a couple of Amazon drivers parking there van on the corner & litterally running to/from the van with a handful of packages and sprinting back to it like they’ve got a timebomb straped to there ankle…. something is defin**i**tely not right there.

25. beerigation

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

Hate to burst everyone’s bubble but pissing on the ground or in a bottle is what pretty much everyone who works outside and away from an office does.

26. lusealtwo

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

I didn’t know there was a such thing as an “Amazon driver”. Where I live, UPS delivers all the Amazon shipments…

27. Galaxyhiker42

UNIONS 👏ARE 👏 EXTREMELY 👏 IMPORTANT

28. bracko81

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

200? Lmao. I deliver for amazon 200 would be a godsend. I delivered 350ish each day I worked last week

29. jdisco1

December 11, 2017 at 3:51 am

UPS delivers the majority of Amazon packages. Amazon is trying to start their own version to save money and have more control of the logistics chain.

I’m a UPS guy and can confirm that we all piss in bottles too. If you don’t believe me, check the mini trash can on the drivers left side, under the seat. Almost always full of piss jugs. I usually have an emergency grocery bag and roll of TP with me too. This job is really not what you think it is.