Just Heard Dairy Sales Are Down 11%. Never Let People Tell You We Aren’t Making A Difference. | Amazing Articles

- just heard dairy sales are down 11 never let people tell you we arent making a difference 1000x550 - Just Heard Dairy Sales Are Down 11%. Never Let People Tell You We Aren’t Making A Difference.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/well/eat/got-almond-milk-dairy-farms-protest-milk-label-on-nondairy-drinks.htmlView Source

Load More By

1. onnoj817

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Im not vegan, so i dont have a dog in this race, but i just want to point out that milk has been hit with deflation pretty hard lately. Dollar sales are down, but total units moved is up. Basically milk is losing money, but people are consuming *more* of it.

Source: i work in analytics for a grocery company

2. r3dt4rget

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Even if they get the bill passed that says you can’t label almond milk, “milk”, that won’t make a difference. Look at the labels for Almond Breeze and Silk. Milk is nowhere to be found in large enough print to matter to consumers. People buy these products *because they are not milk*, not because they get confused and think it’s real milk.

3. RageHulk

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

(Refering to the title of the linked article): in germany thats already the case. they cant label it “milk” they have to call it “drink”: http://imgur.com/FZK1OGU

we also have to pay 19% tax instead of 7%, because dairy-milk is a every-day product and any other milk is a luxury product.

wont stop me from buying =)

4. Copacetic_Curse

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

[This](http://i.imgur.com/ijqn1LF.jpg) is the picture they used for the dairy farm. I’m not sure why the farmer would want to have a picture of the cows in cages.

5. doihavemakeanewword

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

What makes you sure this wasn’t just a random market trend?

6. kreimerd

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I know this sub probably won’t like this, but I haven’t drank milk in 2 years because it’s high in carbs. Almond milk protein shakes are great. It’s not about animal cruelty to me. I don’t know how much of the population are like me – or increase lactose intolerance, but i’d imagine it’s not all about veganism.

7. Panda_Hero01

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

What makes you think it’s all vegans? It could just be lactose intolerant people, or people who just don’t like milk… like me.

8. SeinfeldFan9

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I stopped drinking milk 6 years ago because my friend suggested I drink it as a tastier and healthier alternative to the 2% milk I had been drinking since I was a toddler.

Fast forward 3 years and I’m vegetarian.
    Another year passes and I’m vegan.
    Ever since my body has felt great. Nourish it with great food and you’ll feel great.

9. laalpacagrande

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I’m not sure you’re using the right metric here. Had the number of milk producing cows in farms dropped?

10. kevinstrat27

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I remember the days I would make fun of a vegan.. the days I would soothe my mind because eating meat is normal since everyone does it and we need it to survive… boy how could I be more wrong. I would never see myself giving up meat! All the bbq’s and Christmases I had with a nice pork roast or a big fat steak… I’m so proud of myself for giving up meat. Im so proud of my curies, salads, chili’s, quiches and so on! The only thing I regret is that I couldn’t realize it earlier. Vegan community has changed me and a lot of other die hard meat lovers! Keep up the good work y’all! (Btw I’m still a vegetarian but I’m working on it! Thanks to all the good tips and recipes from you guys!) thanks again!

11. Decyde

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Milk’s been $1 per gallon here about all year. Eggs are around 50c per dozen anymore as well.

I really doubt this is the reason why dairy sales are down 11%.

12. recumbentbirder

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Good to hear, that the dairy industry is attacking producers of alternative ‘milk’. Here in Sweden the most popular producer of oat milk was sued by the dairy industry for using ‘cruelty free’ in their ads. The oat people lost in court. But their rush in popularity was enormous! ‘Wow, no cow!’, they now say, and the cow people practically lost their case.

13. nymphicuscrest

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Yess! Vote with the money you spend!

14. elismyer

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

>Dairy farmers say the practice misleads consumers into thinking that nondairy milk is nutritionally similar to cow’s milk.

Umm…. no. I do know what I’m buying (Sometimes I’m not sure if it is organic or not but I definitely know it isn’t from a cow.) And the reason I buy it is because it isn’t “nutritionally similar” to cow’s milk.

15. Wikiplay

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

In the Pacific Northwest, this is most definitely the trend. Every store in the cities and suburbs now reserves more room for milk alternatives than cow milk.

16. indiferenc

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I do hope I get to see these greedy, disgusting industries crumble in my lifetime. Nothing would make me happier. Watching the slow swing in public perception has given me hope like nothing else

17. theske

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I bought two pints of DF B&Js at my local supermarket the other day and got a coupon to buy more DF B&Js.

Shit works.

18. wombatzilla

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I don’t get why you think this means that vegans are causing this.

I’d be willing to bet it’s just that people never really drank that much milk until the dairy industry started falsely claiming that people needed it for calcium. Now there’s more research showing that that isn’t the case, so people aren’t drinking as much milk and it’s decreasing back to a lower consumption level again.

This is just like all the other food fads like “Fat free” or “sugar free” or when people claimed that eggs give people higher cholesterol so people avoided eating eggs. Now we know that’s not the case so people eat more eggs again.

19. WellHydrated

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

>They say F.D.A. regulations define milk as a “lacteal secretion” obtained by milking “one or more **healthy** cows.”

Welp. Looks like cheese doesn’t exist.

20. Cosmonachos

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

For my family, you’ve made a huge difference. We went from drinking a gallon of milk a day down to about one a week. We’re shooting for zero consumption but we aren’t there yet.

21. jbrs_

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

don’t forget the increase in demand for vegan goods! that’s equally if not more significant. as more people become vegan, it becomes easier to be vegan because better vegan goods are increasingly made available.

22. That_Was_A_Hoot

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

YAY Miyoko made it in the NY Times!!!!!

23. TakuanThePickleMonk

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Uh sure but also people in general are becoming more knowledgeable about food and recognizing that dairy may affect them in ways they were previously unaware.

24. Goonblart

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I don’t understand. Why is there a war against milk? I mean, you don’t wanna drink it. Cool but OP sounds proud of the milk industry getting hit with poor sales. Explain like I’m 5.

25. TheCleanser040806

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Great news! Now I start to worry what will the meat and dairy industries do next.

26. juicyjuicevapeco

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

YAY this is so gratifying as a new vegan!

27. READERmii

Yay! Fuck dairy!

28. Rakonas

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Awesome! The thing about markets and investment is that they require constant growth. A contraction like this a few times causes massive loss in investment confidence. This could be a sign of a dairy crash spiral kind of deal.

Unfortunately government subsidies inflate the industry, as the government is in the pocket of dairy in an udderly corrupt way.

29. sickonsarz

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Lol vegans will die out before milk does.

30. soileux

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Dairies are pretty anal about labeling, and this goes back decades.

Although milk itself isn’t a very big dollar item for dairies. In the US at least, profit margins are about as tight as you can get to begin with. It’s yogurt products- cheese, yogurt, and ice cream for example- that really keep dairies in the black.

31. Jodah-Badingo

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

You don’t make a difference

32. TheWingus

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I’ll be all for using exclusive dairy substitutes as soon as they find a way to make a plant based milk or butter that doesn’t taste/feel terrible to me

33. Corndogsaretheshit

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Never seen the vegan sub b4…HOLY FUCK ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY.

34. Wikkiwikki420

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I will always eat cheese, drink milk, chocolate milk, bread, eggs, and things that are made with things from animals. We are animals. Animals eat animals. Plants are good…. sometimes. But animals are made for human consumption. The weak will not inherit the earth. Not eating meat and dairy makes you weak. Vegan Gainz or whatever the fuck his name is, is not a good role model. He does things that are not healthy to give the appearance that not eating meat is ok and sustainable. It’s not and he suffers because of it. Sorry but it is time you get woke from your little fantasy wonderland and taste reality. Vegetarians are weaker than people with normal omnivorous diets.

35. blaze413

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

What’s this have to do with vegans making a difference? I like rice milk and almond milk but that’s because of the flavor, I also like steaks and fried chicken because of the flavor too.