Learning; been having a hard time remembering notes so I made this for myself | Amazing Articles

Learning; been having a hard time remembering notes so I made this for myself

- learning been having a hard time remembering notes so i made this for myself 1000x600 - Learning; been having a hard time remembering notes so I made this for myself

Learning; been having a hard time remembering notes so I made this for myself

https://i.redd.it/b0by6rfkatdz.jpgView Source

Load More By

1. OldLamborghiniThere

Ernie Gave Bert Dog Food

FACE

Good Boys Do Fine Always

All Cows Eat Grass

2. TRUEfoe-X

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Don’t forget your ledger lines! They can be really useful when they go two or three under or above.

3. Japplerocker

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Is that wall vinyl?! Smart!

4. centenis

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

coming up with phrases can be really helpful as well if you’re struggling like i’m sure you’ve heard it but for the lines of the treble clef you can say Every Good Boy Deserves Fun as that type of thing always helped me but whatever works for you. Good luck

5. etchan

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Having a couple of reference notes that you can find in your sleep really helps too. The common ones are middle C, G on treble clef (also known as the G clef as it curls around the G line) and F on bass clef (also known as the F clef as the left part of the clef starts on that line)

Edit: oh I see that you’ve done that in your sheet already. Good stuff!

6. keyssss1791

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Nice, I’d recommend flash cards too.

Also, anytime a note goes all the way off the staff like the C & E, it gets a [leger line, or ledger line.]
    (http://easymusictheory.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/5/7/11577149/7827522.jpg?273) (Ignore the arrows)

7. fieldoperator

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

E-G-B-D-F these are the lines of the treble clef F-A-C-E it’s as easy as can be

8. 7Geordi

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Oh boy, do I have just the thing for you…

[Get this!](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.swampsend.noteteacher&hl=en)

I have played piano for literally twenty nine years, and I was always more into playing by ear and memory than by reading (I would muddle through reading a piece until I learned it and then just play without the music to perfect it).

I picked up this app and started playing it whenever I was pooping or just waiting for stuff, and the speed with which I read music jumped up tremendously. I can almost sight read some simple pieces now.

I did exactly what you did – something like fifteen years ago – I made a chart like this one and put it on the stand next to what I was reading. It helps a little.

Bonus: if you want to work on your hearing [get this one](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binaryguilt.completeeartrainer&hl=en)

Full disclosure I bought the full apps for both of those recommendations and I would do it again.

9. sanna43

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

If you memorize that G you have as a whole note in the treble clef, the C above that, and the G sitting on top of the staff, you are never more than a couple notes away from a note you know. And middle C below the treble staff, but it needs a line through it, otherwise it looks like a D. So you know C, G, C, G in treble clef. In bass clef, middle C looks the same as middle C in treble clef, just a mirror image, then you know the F you have written as a whole note, then C below than, which is also a mirror image of the high C in treble clef. Then memorize F below that. So once you have those “anchor” notes, you’re never more than a couple notes away from any note you know. And as long as you know the alphabet from A-G, you’re good to go.

10. askeeve

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

If you start the bottom clef three notes lower you only need to print the letters once and it will help you start to recognize octave intervals.

11. NatureGivesAndTakes

Nice, I want something like that on my wall but with the Circle of Fifths

12. bagelmanb

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

why are the treble G and bass F open circles?

13. DaShiztz

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Like anything, practice makes perfect. Trying to sight read random pieces of VERY simple music is what helped me. Cheers mate, good luck.

14. unbroken95

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I like to remember using only the FACE and ACEG. Those are space notes. For line notes I just have to know which space note it is beside it. Killing two birds with one stone. But I think the best way is rote memorization. Without using any mnemonics. Mnemonics helps remembering. But speed is very important.

Intervals( distance between two notes)are equally important. When you have a melody, instead of reading C C G G A A G… I’m reading it like … find the first note C…. then… 5 interval up 2 interval up… and down again.. counting the distance and direction instead of names. I think that way also helps. So I don’t have to know all the names to start playing( but of course I need know the starting note.)

For intervals… If it’s
    line to line notes
    Or space to space it’s always in this order: 1(unison), 3, 5 ,7.

For space to line or the other way around. The order is always: 2, 4, 6, and 8(octave)

So when practicing u can try to focusing on the span of that two notes… next time when you see a note whether melodically or harmonically… your hands will react automatically how big the span should be… If you see a space note to a another space note you’ll immediately know that’s a 3 interval (e.g. F and A).

Just my 2 cents

15. 1RedOne

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I struggle with notes way off the bottom or top.

Come on people who write music, we have the shift notation concept, just use that instead of a note hovering at 10,000 feet

16. ImAWizardYo

17. davidrussell323

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

This is neat! Do be sure to give that bass clef its two dots and add a legderline foryour E and C too!

18. double_bouble

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Don’t forget the lines through the bottom C on the treble clef and bottom E on the bass clef, because you’ll rarely see pieces without lines through the lower and higher notes. The reason for them is for the lines to be a sort of extension of the 5 lines already there. Other than that it seems like a good way to study! Good luck 🙂

19. Rahnamatta

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Soon you will do it automatically. It will be like reading this post. Just keep reading, read anything

Get a RealBook and read the melodies, don’t pay attention to the rhythm, just read outloud the notes (just for the “suspense” of “What note is coming”). Solfege is pretty boring and I hated it, but it’s very rewarding (nono, more rewarding than you think)

20. AlphaGamer753

21. teaqueen54

Every Groovy Boy Does Fine, FACE
    Good Boys Don’t Forget Asking, All Cows Eat Grass
    Phrases like these are helpful, but it just takes lots of practice. And labeled staffs are helpful too like the one you made 🙂

22. phllprios

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Musictheory.net has exercises where they display a note and you have to click on the correct name of it. Could be more helpful than relying on something like this.

23. Daktush

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I never liked this notation system, really strips the music of magic and personality, prefer by far the “do, re, mi” variant.

I hear the name of the notes I play in my head, really prefer the latter variant to hearing an alphabetical list

24. OldowanIndustry

Fat Cats Go Dancing After Every Brandy

25. cumberger

August 5, 2017 at 5:43 pm

why did you need to post this lmao tf