Lotus Turns a Profit for the ‘First Time in Years’ | Amazing Articles

Lotus Turns a Profit for the ‘First Time in Years’

- lotus turns a profit for the first time in years 1000x600 - Lotus Turns a Profit for the ‘First Time in Years’

Lotus Turns a Profit for the ‘First Time in Years’

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/13412/lotus-turns-a-profit-for-the-first-time-in-yearsView Source

Load More By

1. NycAlex

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

i’m surprised they even turned a profit.

their lineup is such a niche market.

2. britneyspearsvagina

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

In a country with about 80% of all roads tight twisties and fuel at ~$5 a gallon, I am seriously looking at used Elises, and God some of the newer ones look much better inside and out to what I was expecting.

Also, couldn’t lotus just do the handling for another Isuzu truck of some shit? Isn’t that how they make money?

3. uupiak

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

Its nice to hear, their cars are something special.

4. fac3

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

And this was done before Geely purchased them. I have really high hopes for the future, and 2020 can’t get here soon enough so I can buy a new Exige

5. Seeker80

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

Awhile back, one of the higher-ups said that they’d like to pursue more collaborations with other manufacturers. I wish they had gone that route. It’s good money for them, and it also yields awesome stuff like the Lotus Carlton, Corvette ZR-1, and even the old Isuzu Impulse.

I’d love for them to get a deal with a manufacturer where they would step in and take care of the entire model lineup. Imagine Infiniti, for example. They’ve been trying to make some performance vehicles, but have come up short several times. Instead, they let Lotus work it out, and each of the Infiniti car models could get a performance trim with handling by Lotus. Everyone wins.

6. DedRok

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

Lamborghini used to be this way for a while.

Good to see Lotus turning a profit. Always liked their adult go karts.

Bring back the [Lotous Esprit V8 TT](http://i42.tinypic.com/30ikwhh.jpg) back…. compete against the 200k segment.

7. _galaga_

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

sounds like they still have a bit of a financial hole to climb out of, but it’s awesome news there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. i was a big elise sc fan, and the evora seems like a great car these days.

8. MrF1GuyV12POWAHHH

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

I love Lotus. They are not perfect but their lineup is one of the last few true “drivers” cars, if you will.

9. Ba5sett

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

I did a tour of the factory fairly recently the care that they put into building each car is extraordinary I’d love to own one some day

10. Timmy0609

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

Now Lotus just be like Porsche and release a SUV, can’t wait for cars like the Esprit and Europa to return.

11. impulsivetech

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

Must be all of the clamshell replacements being purchased

12. Tom555

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

I so hope to own a lotus one day, that pure pursuit of handling and lightness that appeals to me so much

13. mic_crispy

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

When the Exige comes back to the US, ill be the first in line.

14. Hifi_Hokie

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

Chapman’s turning in his grave.

15. PerrySoCal

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

Ferrari has been owned by Fiat for many years. The racing program supports itself pretty much. In the 50’s & 60’s Enzo did what you say but that hasn’t been the case in over 30 year’s.

16. [deleted]

[removed]

17. smileywaters

now its teslas turn

18. Samtato77

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

That’s awesome to hear! I’ve always loved Lotus, glad to hear they’re doing well. The new stuff they’ve been doing looks amazing!

19. pinkepinke

amazing car

20. constantino1

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

sometimes profit is a bad sign… easiest way to make money is to stop spending on R&D. hard to say without a full income statement that I dont see, they mention sales are up, so maybe thats the catalyst.

21. Seeker80

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

This news is also a factor in why the [flashy five concepts from the 2010 Paris Auto Show](http://www.caranddriver.com/news/lotus-news-lotus-unveils-new-lineup-at-paris-auto-show) was a pipe dream at best. Somehow they were supposed to create five(six if you include a new city car concept) with in-house engines(later changed to Lexus V8s), while they can barely get a buck from Proton to keep the lights on.

Higher-ups were so upset with this proposal that they canceled the concepts, canned Danny Bahar, the CEO pushing for these concepts, along with [a few dozen engineers who had worked on them.](http://jalopnik.com/5928952/lotus-cancels-nearly-all-of-dany-bahars-five-future-vehicles) It makes sense in a way, because the time and money just coming up with the concepts ate up money and resources that Lotus really didn’t have. So Lotus is sticking with three major models for the time being, until that SUV gets built.

22. Spyrothedragon9972

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

I’d buy one if they weren’t so damn expensive. I don’t see any value in paying such a premium for a car that has everything taken out of it.

I’m no car designer, but I don’t see why they had to design a car that’s so difficult to work on. There are minimalist cars out there that aren’t packaged in such a restrictive way.

23. sleepingsysadmin

August 12, 2017 at 9:57 am

If I had the power; I’d go to Ford or Chevy.

I’d design a new platform that mostly just ripped parts out of other cars and I’d make a 2 seater mid engine with the Ford or chevy 4banger out of the camaro or mustang.

I’d basically be looking to rip off the alfa 4c except not have all the horrible decisions the alfa 4c made. The Alfa 4c makes 230hp… the ford 4banger makes 310 and can be tuned for more. This lets you be slightly more heavy; so I can let tall people actually fit in the thing.

The horrendous sound system in the 4c would be replaced with just a plain lightweight bluetooth speaker system. Your phone is the headunit. Probably lighter weight doing that.

Price would be like $40,000 because I’m not doing anything that the mustang already doesnt have. I bet that’d sell well.