Merrell Moabs I bought in a Walmart in Tucson in 2007 for $80, and their $90 replacements from Amazon. I went with the waterproof version this time.

1. aelios

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

Not sure about bifl, but they are durable and comfy. I’ve gone through 3 pairs over 20 years. Currently on my 4th, with the new lighter version, with the black and orange 3d printed bits on the upper.

2. Laz3rfac3

Merrell at Walmart?

3. dmxgrrbark

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

Man – your Moab’s look WAY nicer than mine after just 3 years of trail abuse. I wouldn’t recommend these as BIFL – even as far as hiking boots go.

4. lowfan

r/buyitfor10years

5. TeeDubb1

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

I love my Merrells – went so far as to buy a second pair on ebay after they were discontinued. They aren’t particularly durable, but they sure are comfy.

6. reboog711

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

Best shoes I’ve ever worn. I have yet to find a better.

But, you are in for a disappointment if you think these are anything close to BIFL. Quality has gone down hill in the past few years.

My (almost) daily walk has me going through three pair of Moab Ventilator’s a year. A pair used to last me 9 months easy, now 4 is pushing it.

I have those same boots for hiking. They are lasting longer, but I assume that is because I wear them less.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a better walking sneaker….

7. Dickramboner

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

What are you gonna replace these with in 2027?

8. TheRudeAbides

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

Very disappointed with mine, they torn to shit after a few months. That being said, the waterproof liner has outlasted the rest of the boot.

9. childsmasher

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

I’ve actually switched from Merrell just because they fall apart so fast.

10. mzsigler

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

I just bought my second pair of Moab Ventilators, my first lasted about 7 years. I also picked up a pair of Moab Waterproof that I wear to work on rainy days. They really are great shows.

11. asuliberty

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

Yeah, definitely not bifl but no hikers are if you actually use them for hiking.

I’ve gone through easily 5 pairs in my life but I’m in AZ hiking on rocks.

12. kdanham

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

Are you me?… My first pair was maybe 2006… But this season I got the new ones. Keep the old pair in my car still just in case lol. I’m brand loyal at this point for hiking shoes. Cheers man

13. biohazard326

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

I love Merrell shoes, they are one of the few boots that have lasted me forever

14. medicmongo

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

As title says, I bought these boots out in Arizona 10 years ago. In the interim, I have used them as a daily(almost. Can’t wear these at work) shoe around town, and for some light hiking. They held up remarkably well over the past decade. They’ve really only started to break down in about the past 6 months. Side work as a plumber has taken its toll.

Edit: [Here](https://imgur.com/gallery/81qMC) is a link showing the tread

15. bensal88

I have shoes

16. FlatBot

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

In my experience, Merrells will last a real long time, as yours have, but they begin to lose support after a year and a half or so of regular use. Keen are very similar to Merrell in that regard. I used to buy Merrell every year or two and switched to Keen for the bigger toe box.

17. repete66219

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

That’s what I mow in. Solid work shoe. A bit clunky, but comfortable & good support. Breathes well too.

18. badlucktv

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

I see Merrell, I upvote Merrell.

I also buy, Merrell.

19. coolplate

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

those new ones will prolly only last a week. they make shitty versions to sell at outlet stores. That “waterproof” is some bullshit too, it was water resistant, but only for the first couple of days. If something is “waterproof” you can walk in a creek all day with no leakage, these fuckers soaked my socks when I stepped in a big puddle. cheap-ass outlet bullshit.

20. TheContrarian2

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

I am very impressed with the Merrill shoes. I was trying to find something to hike the Appalachian with and found the ventilator series and they are absolutely fantastic. Very comfortable and durable. And even after years of use the souls stay very stiff which I like when going up and down the hill on rocks. They also drain water very fast which is perfect when I hike in Florida through swamps. The Bechaud ever. In fact, I was very disappointed when I recently needed a new pair of shoes and had to go for some other quality brand that turned out to not fit me very well.

21. Pigtattoo

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

I’m a believer in this company. Love the zero drop shoes… think I’m on my 4th pair in about as many years, but I’m on my feet for about 13 hours a day in them. Also I’m a big fella… it’s nice to have lightweight shoes that breathe and don’t crunch in 3-4 months.

22. Climbtrees47

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

I agree that these are great boots. I use them at work, climbing trees. I put a huge beating on them but they will last me a full year. They stay comfortable until the soles fall off.

23. bat_in_the_stacks

August 22, 2017 at 4:36 am

Umm, merrells last me less than a year. You all must not be walking very much. Also, they’re only waterproof for the first month or two.