My school failed to notify both the students and parents that in half of the classrooms, we had abnormally high mold levels, and people are getting sick… [VA] | Amazing Articles

In the trailers (away from the main building), there were [indoor/outdoor mold levels of up to 58:1 ](https://imgur.com/a/QRgGm)and they failed to notify us, or the parents. I’m not quite sure what dangerous mold looks like, but [here ](https://imgur.com/gallery/0bIYX)is what it looks like at my school.

2 math teachers told a student that they were not coming to school because the administration would not show them the mold report. The next day, the two teachers were not at school.

This all happened during the first 2 weeks of school, and we (the students and parents) are just now hearing about this. The school administrators say that the air quality is normal NOW, but I’m not so sure.

Also, two of my friends have missed school this week due to a severe migraine headache (she missed two days) and “allergies” (he missed one day).

Do we have any legal action we can take?

Should I be worried about my and the schools safety?

1. northshore21

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

I would encourage the teachers to contact OSHA: [their regional OSHA office](https://www.osha.gov/oshdir/va.html).

For the students & parents, I would contact the [Department of Health](http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/local-health-districts/) followed by an attorney & a doctor.

Also the [Environmental Protection Agency](https://www.epa.gov/mold/forms/contact-us-about-mold)

2. rustyblackhart

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Hey, this happened at my high school in VA back in 2000. The new principal got fired for making a big deal out of it, and several students ended up on the news about the whole thing. I was sick for pretty much the entire first semester of my freshman year because my English class was in the worst mold infected room in the school. In the end, the whole wing had its carpet ripped out and the walls bleached the following summer. Didn’t fix the problem though, which was in the air ducts. It’s really shitty, but I ultimately had to stop taking advanced/AP English in 11th and 12th grade because it never got fixed and the school refused to do anything about it, even after multiple complaints and multiple students dropping higher level English classes that were held in that wing. I’ve since heard that they fixed the problem and there’s no more mold, but I don’t know for sure.

3. slpater

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

I’m not sure whether any health or building code would apply or if there is a board or person you could talk to. If you get sick from it, you would be entitled to damages. These damages are typically what it would take to make you whole. I.e. medical bills, if it caused you to miss work(your parents taking you to the doctor may apply) you might try having your parents go to the prinicipal. Go further up the chain until someone listens to you. Look up any symptoms of being around and breathing in mold if you want to continue attending this school. Would also recommend buying some medical masks to protect your lungs and such.

4. AskMeForADadJoke

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

This happened at my high school too when new carpet *was laid over old carpet*. Dumb.

Years later, graduates of my high school had abnormally high rates of brain diseases and brain surgeries as a result.

This can become a huge issue. I don’t have any advice except to stay on top of it, both health wise and legally.

If interested, Google “Corona del Sol mold”

5. fixurgamebliz

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

> Do we have any legal action we can take?

Do you have any damages? Have you suffered any harm? What legal action do you propose? Injunctive relief to prevent you from going to school?

> Should I be worried about my and the schools safety?

I’m not a doctor, or in construction / mold remediation, or a mycologist, but intuition / common sense tells me that yes, you should be worried and do additional research. I don’t know what black mold looks like, but I know that I’d want someone smarter than me to look into it and tell me if I should worry.

I think at minimum proof of an independent air quality analysis and mold remediation would be prudent for the school to produce. I’d contact the superintendent’s office, or an ombudsman-type office with the district and ask questions. They might be tight-lipped in fear of litigation.

Are the teachers who abstained from going to school back in attendance? They were privy to some information and would have to be pretty confident things were safe if they were back in class.

6. canadaduane

7. aftiggerintel

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

This happened at my childrens’ school when they were in kindergarten and then again when in kindergarten and 3rd grade. I had to bring in a letter from the allergist attributing the issue to mold in the classroom as the home environment had been remedied to their satisfaction. The letter was addressed to both the individual teachers as well as the school principal and the superintendent for the district. We had the entire classrooms remedied by bio-environmental for the district within 2 business days. There was a air quality and surface inspection by a 3rd party done at initial remedy and then again at 2 weeks and 1 month. There were further followups but the kids haven’t had major issues since.

Always address with the building principal and direct teacher in the classroom first before going nuclear. In many cases, their hands are tied until a parent complains about the issues.

8. FinitumX

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

West springfield is where the school is.

9. [deleted]

[removed]

10. VanessaSoIll

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

…Where in VA is this? I’m a little worried about my kids now.

11. CDarrowsBileDuct

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Did the school know or have reason to know about the mold?

12. techiebabe

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

FYI, your photo doesn’t work for me (“here is what it looks like”).

13. aend67

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

People should be aware that the health effects of mold vary drastically from one person to another. Mold that doesn’t bother one person at all can be lethal to another person. Mold problems are caused by extremely high humidity and by leaks. Both of those are easy to detect. Therefore the very first step to take is to investigate humidity and leaks. Dehumidifiers, plumbing repairs, and roofing repairs, can make a huge difference.

14. gbrldz

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Would it be possible to provide what area in VA this is in? My fiance is a teacher here in Northern VA and works in a trailer. Thank you.

15. DominicanFury

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

If the government can like stop spending so much money on wars we can better education, newer schools or fix the issues heck we can get flint Michigan clean water

16. babyiknow

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

I was stuck sleeping in a place with mold and I got a fungal respiratory infection. Was easily the most sick I’ve ever been and I can see how it can easily kill you. I don’t have any legal advice but I can say with a certainty after seeing those pictures that first and foremost nobody should be spending any amount of time in that building

17. Hsmdbeila

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Ask your English teacher if you guys can study Ibsen’s An Enemy of the People in class for some delicious irony.

18. legalbyebye

September 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm

My kid’s middle school got closed down three years ago because of fumes from toxic waste. It was a huge administrative hassle and headache and probably wouldn’t have happened without extremely active parental lobbying. If you are interested in reading about it I can link some newspaper articles.