Posted about building a Minecraft Gaming System on 0 Budget to build with my son. Redditor gifted a 50 Build! UNBELIEVABLE! | Amazing Articles

Posted about building a Minecraft Gaming System on $300 Budget to build with my son. Redditor gifted a $1350 Build! UNBELIEVABLE!

Last Saturday I posted about building a gaming computer for my son for pretty much just Minecraft. I had $300 to work with. I expected a few replies and a few pointers. The response to that post was unbelievable. I woke up the next day and my wife told me she needed to silence my phone in the middle of the night. Over 40K views and over 300 replies. I now know the meaning of RIP inbox. I got a lot of great advice from a lot of people. In the end, it was pretty clear. I could build it for $300, but it wouldn’t be great. It may play Minecraft, but that’s about it. I would be better off spending more money on a build, and well, my wife and I didnt really have more money to put towards it.

Let me start by saying I was messaged by quite a few of you about graphics card, mother boards, processors that they had laying around. Willing to send them to me for nothing, or maybe some shipping. The generosity of this sub is amazing. I was never looking for anything but advice, and many of you offered many things. For that I am very grateful.

Then I was messaged by a member of this sub who wishes to remain anonymous. They offered to purchase a WHOLE BUILD for me. They said they were around my son’s age when they got into building computers and technology. They now work with computers as their profession and wish they could have shared a similar experience with their dad growing up. I was skeptical to say the least, but they were very genuine in their message and honestly I don’t know how I could have said no.

Over the next few days we sent messages back and forth and he put together a build for my son and I. My wife kept telling me its crazy and someone was messing with me. I stayed a little skeptical but I could tell through the conversations we had that this person was truly a good person looking to make a positive impact.

As of last night, all the parts were ordered and are being shipped straight to my house. They have sent me order confirmations as well as tracking on all the parts for the build from Amazon and Newegg.

Here is the build:
[PCPartPicker part list](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qybxyf) / [Price breakdown by merchant](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qybxyf/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:—-|:—-|:—-
**CPU** | [AMD – Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kPzK8/amd-ryzen-7-1700-30ghz-8-core-processor-yd1700bbaebox) | $279.99 @ B&H
**CPU Cooler** | [Noctua – NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7dTrxr/noctua-nh-u12s-se-am4-cpu-cooler-nh-u12s-se-am4) | $59.90 @ Amazon
**Motherboard** | [MSI – B350M PRO-VH PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qys8TW/msi-b350m-pro-vh-plus-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b350m-pro-vh-plus) | $56.98 @ Newegg
**Memory** | [Corsair – Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2skwrH/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15r) | $204.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [SanDisk – X400 256GB 2.5″ Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vyKhP6/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sd8sb8u256g1122) | $97.99 @ B&H
**Video Card** | [MSI – GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/49YWGX/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-duke-oc-video-card-gtx-1080-duke-8g-oc) | $514.98 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Fractal Design – Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZHmxFT/fractal-design-focus-g-black-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-bk-w) | $54.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Power Supply** | [SeaSonic – FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx) | $83.99 @ SuperBiiz
| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1363.81
| Mail-in rebates | -$10.00
| **Total** | **$1353.81**
| Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2017-12-06 18:00 EST-0500 |

All I can say is that it is truly a Christmas miracle.

I have never been so moved by the generosity of one person before. I am in shock and words cannot describe the excitement I have to build this amazing computer with my son.

I do not think I will ever be able to thank this person enough for what they have done. All they asked in return is to pay it forward. And believe me I will!

I will be sure to update when the build is completed!

Merry Christmas everyone!

TLDR: Wanted to build with my son. Didn’t have a budget that was good. A stranger on the internet sent me $1300+ of parts to build with my son. I still am in shock.

Edit:Spelling

Edit2: Wow. Thank you for the gold. This community is gold. Thank you so much to everyone here. This has been an amazing few days! Also RIP inbox again lol

1. SloppyMeathole

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Wow. He’s gonna be able to play a hell of a lot more than just Minecraft with that beast.

2. darknite24

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I remember reading this. My favorite part was you wanted to have your son help with the build. So glad you got a donation and now you both can enjoy the build and there is someone out there that will get a smile on their face knowing that they helped strengthen a father son relationship

3. xSt4y_r3ady

All I can say is wow

4. Miltiades34

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

These are the posts i like seeing on this sub

5. space-wizard

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I hope a build album is in order so we can all follow along!

6. WS8SKILLZ

What an absolute legend.
    I hope that person has a very very Merry Christmas

7. Afteraffekt

Spend some of that 300 on games

8. The_Rossatron

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

The generosity that is often shown by members of this sub always amazes me. I hope I’ll be in a position one day where I’ll be able to do something similar.

9. Tower_Climber_

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I may have some 24″ 1080p capable acer monitors lying around. They are not the best by any means but if I dig them out you’re welcome to them? You will need your budget for OS and peripherals. They will work fine for Minecraft as long as you can live without 100 fps and 4k? Let me know.

Happy holidays!

10. InnocentSalf

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

you should ask your son if you can play on that beast from time to time 😛

it’s a really solid one. now you can use your budget on a 250$ monitor and peripherals and give him and yourself the best gift you’ve ever gotten 🙂

11. willy-beamish

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

You got your OS squared away? I have windows 7 pro and windows 10 pro product keys.

12. rosickness12

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

The gifter was reminded of a time in their life and wanted this stranger and son to experience that. Ya $1350 is a good chunk but everyone can do the same thing with a few bucks. Recently was getting a gyro and these two kids tried to get chicken tenders. Didn’t have money. I later saw then sharing a stale muffin from the gas station. Reminded me of my brother and I as kids hanging out. Hooked them up with tenders and fries and said have a good winter break. Didn’t tell anyone until now. Just small stupid shit can make someone’s day. Or week. Or who knows, affect their life in a small way. Huge props for the person who made this happen.

13. lcxlim

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Reminds me of the other recent post where someone was giving OP a video card. Love the Christmas spirit/kindness everybody.

Happy holidays and enjoy the time with your son!

14. Irish_Dynamite

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I won’t tell you how to parent, but I do want to offer my perspective. Please just be careful about how you present this news to your kid. It may be best if the build is seen as a gift from Santa. If you let him know that the build was gifted by a stranger on the internet, it could lead him to think it’s OK to give out his information on the internet if people are offering free things. That’s all well and good if you’re an adult and / or understand the implications of giving out personally-identifiable information on the internet, but internet-safety is really important (especially for kids)! Maybe one day, when he’s older, you can spill the beans and share how this little miracle came to be.

15. Cguy292929

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

These are the kind of people that make this world amazing

16. Yellnik

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I love this sub, I was just reading a post where another dad was asking about a cheaper alternative to a 1050 ti and some one sent him a GTX 970 for nothing but shipping in return. You guys rock

17. Ramboticus

Hi it’s me, ur son

18. N3RO-

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

A lot of “building computer to my son with X bucks” incoming, kkkkk

19. saltywings

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

100 bucks says it was Terry Crews lol.

20. slowsuby

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I’m a grown ass man and it got really misty in here. I’m amazed at the generosity of people. What an amazing story and if the anonymous redditor is reading this, thank you very much for being the change you want to see in this world. Thank you.

21. RyaanS

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

He’ll be able to play the latest games at 60+ fps 1080p no problem!

22. zoglog

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Make sure to teach your son that this doesn’t happen often in life so he won’t expect it in the future but would be pleasantly surprised just like u

23. VirtualAnarchy

I love reddit

24. Dwarfinator1

/r/wholesomebuildapc

25. CoffeeIsOverrated

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I don’t know if this has been said already, but being realistic you should allocate those $300 into a hard drive with more storage for more games, since he can play pretty much anything he wants on this behemoth of a machine. Also, perhaps a good monitor as well. There’s a good 1440p144hz Dell one which goes on sale every so often.

And of course, the obligatory congratulations. I hope he one day builds his own PC completely from scratch, and this catches on to him as a hobby/interest.

26. Pentos

Aw so heartwarming.

27. Aloonie

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Anyone else think this was Notch? It seems like something he’d do and the fact that it’s a pc for Minecraft add’s to my suspicion.

28. omerbballin101

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Congratulations, I’m looking for a job rn to buy a pc lol, not gunna lie I’m kinda jelly.

29. qualityengineer620

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

There is hope for mankind.

30. SirHotWings

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Absolutely fantastic, enjoy the experience. Really nice job anonymous!

31. mushpuppy

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

That’s a nice system. Speaking as one who’s done this kind of thing before, bud, it’s all about paying it forward. For you and your son. May the two of you and your anonymous benefactor be blessed many times in your lives.

32. MikeGamerGuy

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Well, that will definitely play minecraft. xD

33. Jamesified

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I want to get to a point in my life where I can do this for people.

34. TehTaKo

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I want a build video, father and son bonding let’s go!

35. 118R3volution

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Nicer than my 6600K and 1070! Enjoy it and congrats!

36. BoundlessVirus

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Faith in humanity restored, at least for a little while

37. Klocknov

And they say Santa does not exist 😀

38. Pavilion22

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Damn.. This subreddit is amazing..

39. Macsimusx

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I actually cried, in a world where there is so much hate in glad there are people who are genuine and care for other people, merry Christmas everyone

40. Urstin2

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

But can it run minesweeper?

41. glaskopp

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Wow, Thanks for the update! Have fun building your pc together

42. JBrainerd

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

My god. You and your son should be very happy, as you currently are. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your building experience with your son and I hope you can make an impact in the lives of others as was done to you, though maybe not on that grand of a scale.

43. alexandrefp

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I’m so jealous but happy for you at the same time.

44. SiegeLion1

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

To whoever it was that sent the parts, and everyone else who offered, thank you for showing the best part of this community.

To OP, thank you for giving your son the experience of building a PC with you, I’m sure it’ll be a happy memory he’ll look back on for the rest of his life.

45. TheAtlasAce

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Goddamn! This post deserves to be put onto r/wholesomememes

AND ITS NOT EVEN A MEME

46. SomniWatch

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Whoa! Merry Christmas ya filthy animal.

47. bartonsboy

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Some people are awesome. Merry Christmas to you and your family and have fun with the build.

48. chippinganimal

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

That really is awesome! Shows how wonderful the community here really is 😀

49. Matt93949

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Wow there are some really nice people that still look out for each other. Loved this post so much, I can not begin to imagine the look on your suns face when he sees all those parts.

50. Lanks01

Someone is really in the Christmas spirit 😄

51. GoldMercy

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

And what a fucking build it is. Holy shit. MVP stranger

52. silvercard1

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Wow! I have been following the thread and that’s incredible!!

53. paulerxx

Merry Christmas!

54. AarBearRAWR

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

This is just…wow. You found a real life Santa! I am very VERY happy for you and your son! I hope the anonymous redditor responsible sees this because he/she is a wonderful person.

Cheers to the many thousands of hours you and your boy will spend playing together!

55. maxiquintillion

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Okay, but he was just wanting to play minecraft, right? Coulda made a sweet-ass Minecraft gaming rig with $300. Instead, Anon bought OP a fucking RYZEN 7, fucking 16 GIGS OF RAM, and a MOTHER FUCKIN 1080 8GB! I’m just wondering “WHY!?” Don’t get me wrong, I’m super jealous of OP and the kid who gets to brag his fucking ass off, “yeah, dude, I got a Ryzen 7 *and* a 1080. Just for Minecraft.” And also I love the support and overwillingness Anon has to buy OP all of the parts for a panty-soaking build. And lets not forget the killer graphics this kid will get playing $300 worth of games. But… All because the kid wanted to play Minecraft… Coulda used an I7 laptop or something with 8gb of RAM. “But thats just my opinion… Maaan”

56. raspberrysprite

December 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

You should post videos of you and your son making the computer and playing it!