Some brave soul volunteered for a completely robotic dental surgery. The robot implanted 3D-printed teeth into a woman without help from dentists. | Amazing Articles

1. unusually_awkward

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

This is the future of medicine – robotic surgeons with human oversight will perform most routine surgical procedures by the middle of this century. A lot of things that are done only by hand can be done so much more precisely by a sufficiently programmed robot. As we get better and better at making sensors and integrating them into machines, they’ll only get more precise and accurate. It’s pretty exciting to see technological innovations like this.

2. bboyjkang

Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcKFLYPBLl8 [1:51]

>Before operation, patient needs to take a CT (computed tomography) scan to acquire all the data of the patient’s skull and jaw, and then the data are stored through a special marking system, so that the robot arm can identify the corresponding location precisely in the non-open space and finish the dental implant surgery.

>1:22 The biggest advantage of the robot is high precision with a error of 0.2 to 0.3 millimeters

3. utack

brave or broke soul?

4. anonymaus42

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

When you have really messed up teeth and lack the resources to properly handle it beyond pulling them.. it doesn’t take much to convince you to take some risks if it means a chance of having a normal looking, properly functioning, pain free mouth.

I dream of the day that I might have the money to get proper dental work done and I’d be more than happy to let a robot do it if it was free/affordable :/

5. jadedargyle333

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Didn’t check the sub before I opened. I also subscribe to /r/shittyrobots and expected the worst.

6. samcrut

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I’m picturing a dental robot that can use a high resolution camera inside your mouth to identify problem areas and spot treat them to repair the teeth instead of waiting for teeth to get so bad that they have to be removed or drilled out and partially replaced with crowns, fillings, and so forth.

Start feeding an AI hi-rez photos of cavities now so we can eliminate them later. Instead of brushing your teeth, you’ll have a mouth bot that you clamp down on and it’ll give you a full, dentist visit quality cleaning every time, at home. I love it!

7. hesnothere

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I work in the field. This is definitely interesting from a process standpoint, but the biggest automation gap lies in treatment planning. A robot may be adept at drilling to a certain depth and angle, but how does it safely determine those data points on its own? How will it be regulated (dental boards?)?

From a technological scaling standpoint, there are a few simpler hurdles dentists are looking toward or already using today — acquiring a CBCT unit, using surgical guides, etc. These along with some changing market conditions are going to bring some pretty drastic cost-savings to implant dentistry in the next five years.

8. hawkwings

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

When we switch to robot dentists, it might be nice to lie face down so that saliva runs out of the front of your mouth.

9. ReplicateExtinction

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

“Brave soul” with how far machine learning has come, I’d trust a robot over a human any day, especially after having 2 surgeries that completely butchered and scarred me needlessly because the surgeon didn’t give a shit

10. Mackinstyle

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I need to combine this with my business idea.

For me the worst part of dentistry is the fear and anxiety days/weeks in advance. I want to start “Party Van Dentistry” where you or your spouse pay for our services, sign forms and whatnot. Then without notice, at some point in the future a van stops beside you, people get out, drug you, and you wake hours later up in your bed, your wife saying, “oh hey. yeah you just had a check-up and two fillings.”

11. TheObviousChild

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I’m about to get implants for my front teeth and am having it done by a human…like a sucker.

12. gxdchild808s

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Where do I sign up? My teeth are fucked. I’ll take what I can get.

13. wlee1987

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Waiting for /u/WaxBuddy to call the patent on this

14. Colopty

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

That’s pretty damn impressive. Dunno if it’s all too efficient in terms of manpower if you need ~5 dentists standing around it at all times for an hour though.

15. Qubeye

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

My PRK was pretty much done robotics. The Doc just verified some math, but otherwise just sat there with a dead man’s switch in case the machine decided to go full Dead Space on my eyes.

16. OneToothMcGee

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

There are a couple things in this video that make me pause and think.

The first is how the patient is draped completely, even beyond what would appear to be a normal sterile field. There was also no other indication of the patient being under complete sedation or general anesthesia, which I would assume you would need to perform any robot guided surgery, especially in the mouth. No matter how precise a robot drill is, it would not be able to anticipate a patient’s need to swallow as well as a dentist or oral surgeon, or any provider placing an implant without full anesthesia that keeps the tongue from moving. Except for the occasional twitch of the tongue, the complexion of the skin and the way the mouth was arranged almost looked like a typodont (model teeth) with a realistic plastic mold over it.

The second would be the consideration of how much this would increase any fees associated with placing an implant. Dental implants are a tried and proven procedure that can be placed in an outpatient setting, normally without any sedation, and normally under just local anesthesia. By adding five other providers and a robot, especially in a situation as shown where it appeared to be one implant, is it necessarily the most effective solution to providing a service, even in countries where the service is covered by a national healthcare.

Also grammar, because phone.

17. diveboydive

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Unfortunately two are in her ear and one is in her left nostril.

18. Szos

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Somehow (illogically) I see this making healthcare even more expensive, not less.

19. carandfreedomgeek

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

And the teeth look perfectly fine…in her eyebrows.

20. Johnnygunnz

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

All that schooling and bills and surgeons will soon be replaced by machines, probably in our lifetime. I don’t know whether to be excited or upset.

21. Novocaine0

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Fucking robots stealing our jobs

22. zigaliciousone

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

After watching Black Mirror, season 3, I don’t think I want a robot to put anything in me.

23. Ghosttwo

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I bet the robot cost more than training a dentist…

24. Dgmexe

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Will it still ask you questions about your day while it’s elbow deep in your mouth?

25. BaconZombie

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

If o got my teeth fixed for free I would do it tomorrow.

26. Iwillnotusemyname

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

They’re taking or yobs!!!!

27. alucarddrol

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

But you’re telling me they can’t make one that puts a cheeseburger together?

28. Insanely_anonymous

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

They would have to pump me up so full of heroin and valium its not funny

29. I_might_be_weasel

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

But did it implant them anywhere close to where it was supposed to?

30. the320x200

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

This bodes well for my dream of some day having a hair-cutting robot.

31. vanceco

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

who’s going to step up and volunteer for the first completely robotic lasik surgery..?

32. gutchie

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Omg panic. Robots are going to take over dental jobs.

33. greldek

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Shit how do you sign up for this no d of thing? I’ve got 2 broken teeth that need to be removed and… like 5 that have already been removed. It’s really hard to chew stuff now.

34. Drew1231

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

3D printed teeth sound like the worst kind of teeth.

35. cancelyourcreditcard

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Thank god, we can’t get rid of dentists fast enough.

36. filterspam

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

The guy is changing the bits and the robot seems to take it on faith that he put the right one into the chuck.

That’s help from dentists.

37. Narradisall

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

But then who asked her how her day was the moment they stick something in her mouth?!?

38. imyourzer0

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

And this is where that movie called “Teeth” came from, isn’t it…

39. azzazaz

September 23, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Hips, knees, rhinoplasty. It s all gonna to be a thing you travel to china for if the AMA doesnt let up and start allowing progress in American medicine.

People already go to mexico.