The U.S. Is Retreating from Religion – By 2030, say projections, a third of Americans will have no religious preference | Amazing Articles

1. rotorcowboy

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Friendly reminder to please keep comments civil and on topic. Hate speech won’t be tolerated. Some of the views expressed here may be controversial, but please report any harassment targeted toward an individual or group.

2. ContentsMayVary

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Meanwhile in Scotland in 2017, 58% of people overall (and 74% of 18-34s) have “no religion”…

scotcen.org.uk/news-media/press-releases/2017/july/scots-with-no-religion-at-record-level/

3. FeelTheWrath79

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Hehe, I grew up mormon. I remember in the 90’s, church leaders would point to some random study that by 2050, there would be something like 200 million mormons in the world. I guess they failed to foresee the internet. Because that isn’t gonna happen.

4. ebenezerduck

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

The hipsters will bring it back when it’s not cool in the mainstream anymore

5. Shredjeep5

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Not too surprised to be honest. Due to the actions of those in the extremes, religions have not exactly held a positive image in the eyes of younger generations as they grow older.

The biggest hit by this are Christianity and Islam. Both of these religions have been dealt heavy blows in the last 60-70 years.

Let me get this out of the way early, and say that, while I myself am a Christian and was raised a Catholic, that does not mean I agree with everything the church says or does. To me, incorporating science and religion together as well as taking a more analytical look at the lessons of the church in order to develop your own outlook on God is much more important than sitting still in a church for an hour listening to lessons that may not apply to modern day anymore. My point is, that while I may be Christian, trust me, I have plenty to criticize the religion on.

Anyways, as education has become more readily available and expansive than ever before, people are starting to see how much Christianity has affected modern history, and not exactly in a good way. For a religion based on compassion for our fellow man, Christianity led empires seemed to have failed to actually follow through on that message.

There are whole classes on Brittain’s effects on the world due to religion, so I don’t want to go off for too long. It was almost as if their credo was “if they aren’t following my religion, then the teachings of my religion should not apply to them.”

In more recent times, Christianity has still been causing issues through the scandals covered by the Catholic church as well as the affiliation to both the Nazis and extreme racism found in the Southern US.

It just keeps piling up, and it’s not surprising younger people can notice the hypocrisy.

6. kingbankai

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

This isn’t surprising. Most people don’t follow religions all too much or are completely ignorant of their own. It’s not an endgame of not believing in a divine presence of some sort but more along the lines of not following a group’s belief structure. I wish American politics will follow suit and abolish political parties.

7. newbris

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

So will that be 33.3% of Americans ineligible for being President then? Or will the US have got some sense in that regard by then ?

8. Spiralyst

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

The US Federal government has evangelicals heading up most departments now. Pruitt, DeVos, Pence, Sessions, etc. And they are all on record talking about Constitutional amendments eliminating the separation of church and state.

Sessions is already trying to make it so churches do not have to pay taxes but can also openly advocate for politicians from their pulpit. In his brain, the separation of church and state just meant to keep government out of religion. But our nation’s laws should be Christian law.

We have a minority group that is trying to use political force to suppress the majority.

9. ayydelashitpost

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Yet a part of the Christian American population and some political parties still try to push for legislation that’s restrictive to people that show no religious faith and do not understand how that’s not acceptable

10. Silent_Hysteria

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I used to think this was going to be a good thing with no downside. However I’m starting to realize people still cling strongly to things…if that isn’t religion they find something else….. and it seems for most it is becoming political sides they cling onto religiously. Among other things.

11. MS-DOS_Mountains

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I came here to offer my opinion but something tells me that this is one of those times where it’s better to sit back and watch.

12. amdamanofficial

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I think the most important thing is to differentiate between people who are religious on paper, those who are ‘religious’ because they believe in some kind of god but not follow all the religious principles and people who are actually religious, following the regious codes and rituals. I think the problem is that religiosity is generalized and the 60+% religious rate comes from a lack of differentiation between religious and deist people. This really halts progress, which is sad.

13. Bhima

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Meh, as far as I can tell most of the people who say they’re religious are more part of civic religion rather than anything with a serious theological underpinning.

14. BartchMedley

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

This is a strange way of saying 2/3 of people will still practice religion in 2030.

15. SonOfSite

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

But which divisive technique will politicians & news media use to divide us during election years?

16. xxAkirhaxx

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

As an Atheist I kind of don’t want to see religion go. Most religions provide a great social net for people, provide everyone with a sense of community, give *mostly* good advice on values and morals, and really try to give back to the community they exist in.

It’s the exploitative nature of religion that pisses me off. All of the manipulation, wolf in sheeps clothing, secrets behind closed doors bullshit that occurs is what kills the whole thing. It’s true that there are some bad people in all good things, but just like with other groups who are now considered totally bad and started out as groups to focus on positive change in society (feminism, facism, communism, police, BLM)
    religion is picking up the moniker of bad for all and it’s killing the name.

I truly want that to change. As an atheist, you think I take solace in uncertainty? I wish I could peacefully believe some guy in the sky had everything figured out. But I’m sitting here not sure if it’s the guy in the sky, or some douchebag raising money for his 3rd mansion and 5th super yacht.

17. -Nok

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I like the community religious people have, they always do things together that I get envious about. But I like my open mind it’s just lonely

18. Zaelers

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I’m willing to bet that most (50-75%) of Americans only say they are religious on paper, and are not actually so in their day to day lives. There was a point in time where I would say I was Christian because I thought I would be more accepted by people/jobs (which is a terrible thing to think) if I had wrote down I was a Christian.

So if a poll like this came around I would most definitely have put down that I was, knowing full well that I wasn’t. I would argue also that a lot of people say they are because their parents are/were, and that is the only reason also. Many people or kids go to Church, but only do so because they go with a loved one or their parents or feel that they have to, while not really believing in that religion. That is just my experience though.

19. N-Shifter

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Only a third? Was hoping it would be higher than that.

20. mister_newbie

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Which means that the remaining 2/3 will likely double down and continue to dominate the political discourse as politicians continue to pander to their base.

21. van-nostrand-md

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I know most of reddit doesn’t subscribe to religion at all, and some atheists are vehemently anti-religion. The problem is not religion; it’s people. People can be taught all the good in the world but if they don’t choose to apply it, then it doesn’t matter.

Religion is a manmade dogma. I know some religions claim that it is direct from their respective Gods’ mouths, but again, it’s man who makes that claim. The point of most religions is to provide spiritual and moral guidance so that man a) is kind toward his fellow man, and b) doesn’t develop a hubris that he is supreme. For it is hubris that causes man to abuse others.

Man can either choose to follow the “spirit” of religion and be kind toward others, or he can choose to abuse religion and use it to justify his cruelty (sophistry). The religious texts, again, because they are man-written, are fraught with hypocrisies and conflicting lessons. They are easy to abuse, allowing one to pick what he likes and disregard what he doesn’t.

The generation of children born in the Information Age had access to much more information at an early age than prior generations. It was easier for them to decide early whether they subscribed to religion or didn’t. Religion, like any life lesson, should be considered loosely and applied in spirit rather than literally. Man is the problem, not the dogma.

22. Caldwing

October 23, 2017 at 10:10 pm

News like this makes me think we just *might* make it as a species.