Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays are already showing burn-in | Amazing Articles

Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays are already showing burn-in

- two week old pixel 2 xl displays are already showing burn in - Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays are already showing burn-in

Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays are already showing burn-in

1. ecafyelims

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

>the Samsung panels used on the Pixel 1, Pixel 1 XL, and Pixel 2 have mostly been issue-free. The Pixel 2 XL, however, uses an LG-made POLED display, which has proven to not be up to the standard set by Samsung.

I’m glad I did not opt for XL.

2. BackpackBuddha

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Two week old? My Pixel 2 XL from the 19th, which I didn’t even really start using until the 20th, is already showing burn in. I almost always have my brightness at 35-50% too.

3. TehWildMan_

>LG display

Stopped reading right there. (Nexus 5x owner here. Don’t firmly trust them with cell phone electronics at all anymore).

4. MyBigRed

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I just cancelled my order for the Pixel 2 XL. Glad I waited before buying.

5. The_Directors_Cut

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

This is why I am a firm believer in not pre-ordering or purchasing things right from release.

There are always bugs, especially in electronics, so I always give it at least 3 months before purchasing it.

6. Drycee

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I was in need for a new phone some months ago. Ended up getting the Galaxy S8.

Soon after Pixel 2 was announced, and I felt a slight bit of regret (not that anything is wrong with the S8). Then it got revealed it has no headphone jack. Now this. I can say my regret is gone.

7. PrinceAlibabah

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

This is a CLASSIC case of mistakenly including LG in any portion of your product. What else do you expect from a company that brought you an entire generation and a half of defective phones because of consistent shoddy soldering?

8. nvo8018

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Although I’m already returning mine because of a dead pixel (ha), I experienced burn-in by Sunday morning on my Pixel XL 2 (I got it Thursday afternoon) While it’s very slight, this is pretty insane. I just got the new one- will likely post on /r/GooglePixel about my findings for the replacement.

9. noisyturtle

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Oh man am I glad I got the standard Pixel 2. I may hate the giant bezels, but burn in is way worse an issue to deal with.

10. UncleTyTy

I just literally bought my pixel 2 xl… don’t tell me this shit 🙁

11. Griselidis

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Anybody else scared of buying brand new tech these days?

I think the first and only new tech I ever bought was a Surface Pro 2, and that turned out well, but I got the original Pixel like two months ago. I’m a caveman man

12. winqa

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

They also have virtually no viewing angle and shimmer, change tint, and produce rainbow effect when held even slightly off plane, plus they’re accused of being too dim, which google is playing off as “more natural”, though side-by-side screenshots with iphones call this into question.

I miss the great IPS screens of the Nexus 5 and 5X: Great color but not ridiculously saturated, and zero burn in all these years later. “No burn in, ever” is a nice feature. But we can’t have a nice IPS option these days, can we, Google? This is what you get.

13. interkin3tic

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Between this and the no headphone jack, I may have to go with a note 8.

Oh wait, bixby…

hmm…..

This is a tough one…

14. Helplessromantic

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

My pixel 2 XL is in the mail and this does not bode well.

15. joshshua

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Is this burn-in caused by some kind of reversible degradation of the plastic encapsulation or plastic substrate or are the actual display LEDs still biased on?

Edit: [LG presentation on their POLED technology](http://lgdnewsroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/The-New-Advancement-in-Display-technology-LG-Display-Plastic-OLED.pdf).

Edit2: [Autofluorescence of the substrate/encapsulation](https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16286964)?

16. MortimerDongle

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

It’s probably image retention, not burn in. That is, temporary and not permanent. LG OLED TVs have exhibited this behavior consistently.

17. OuHiroshi

More like POOLED.

18. SciencePreserveUs

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Ever since the top bar burned in on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I’ve avoided OLED screens. My buddy’s TV (that he also uses as a monitor) has the Windows 10 bar burned in, so that is a fresh reminder.

19. EricTboneJackson

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

My $200 [OnePlus X](https://oneplus.net/x) has an AMOLED from Samsung. I’ve had it for two years now with not a hint of burn-in.

20. tomz17

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I suspect it’s no coincidence the OP5 sold out everywhere right around the same exact time as the pixel2’s were announced (a lot of people, including myself finally got off that fence and simply bought something else). I have had almost every single nexus phone since the nexus s (s, 4, 5, 6, 6p, pixel XL). If you are going to ask me to actually pay double now ($950 + tax + ship for the XL2 128gb/4gb vs. the OP5 128gb/8gb @ $492 shipped) for a premium phone with similar specs, that experience indeed better actually be premium as fuck.

Imho, if you are still going to grief your users with widespread crazy shitty screen (nexus6, xl2), bluetooth (XL), battery (6p, 6), bootloop (5x, 6p, 5) etc. quality control / design flaws then you really do belong back in the < $500 sub-flagship price point.

21. 1leggeddog

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I will never buy a cell phone on day 1. Plenty of reviews on Youtube from poeple doing a “my time with X phone” after like a month+ of usage and those are the best reviews for consumers.

Not only that, but just waiting a few months can make you save big.

22. uciso

Welp .. aaaaannd canceled

23. Fuckredditsideways

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I had the g2,sold it 6months ago,still worked flawlessly held it’s charge and was still fast. Sold it because I got bored of it, I hear many complaints about lg though nowadays.

24. Vurondotron

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Thank you God I didn’t get accepted in financing the phone. Guess I’ll get the Nokia 6, Moto X4 or the Galaxy S8.

25. Zanowin

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I’ve been having this issue with my G5 and the only way to slightly help is to use a [blue filter](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eyefilter.nightmode.bluelightfilter) permanently

26. smallerthings

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I’ve got a Nexus 6 I’m hanging on to for now. It doesn’t hold a charge as long and acts up occasionally, but I haven’t come across a phablet that I’d be comfortable replacing it with.

I was ready to go with the Pixel 2, but holy shit it looks like I can forget that.

27. Kougeru

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

My S8 had burn-in within a week never made headlines. What’s the difference?

28. LeagueOfDraaaven

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

So I’m getting an XL this week. What…what does that mean for me? Look forward to seeing how well the warranty works?

29. Okgoahead75776684

October 23, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I will never buy a Google pixel again